Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weird, Busy, Restoration, Prayers...

Weird weather - Michigan usually is pretty cold, we rarely have no snow before and during the holidays; it's usually frosty, white, cold. It was in the 50's some days...we had rain, we had people running around in shorts, we had a weird December. January started the same way...then we got the bitter cold I like, not the damp high 20's, low 30's. I was in Heaven, I loved this past Thursday when it was sunny, really bright. I walked out of work and the cold took my breath away. We got about 1.5 inches of snow Thursday. Friday it snowed more, glazed over roads (that part I don't like). It was cold yesterday. The really weird - it was in the mid-20's today but the weather people are saying may be 50* tomorrow. Weird, just plain weird.

Busy...the next word. I have worked a couple of busy weeks. This time of year is always busy for me; wrapping up the year, printing W-2's, shuffling files from years past to make room for the new year. Busy at home - putting away the Christmas decorations and holiday festivity "left arounds", getting our household tax info ready for our appointment. Busy organizing all the piles that end up in the sewing studio during Christmas.

Restoration...I have stitched a bit though, had my "fix" to restore my sanity. Relaxed to restore my ability to shut down the mind at night and sleep...restore my peace and balancing my soul. I have realized through the past year that we all have something, something that restores us to what we need to be, how we need to be. We all need some thing. Isn't it amazing how things as simple as thread, a needle and some linen can bring that peace of mind, peace of heart? Books do the same thing for me, on a different level. Lately I have turned to the fibers instead of the books...have to find one in my pile that captures my attention.

So what have I been stitching to restore peace and balance? It's the Birds of a Feather Mystery Sampler from With Thy Needle & Thread. I am doing it in silks and love the process - I haven't done tons with silks in the past. The border is done. The letters are supposed to be in the color of the two border rows and I really think it may be too light for my taste, especially when it hangs on the wall. I am trying Belle Soie "Angel Blush" and have the "Y" in...I will put in a couple more letters tonight and decide. It's almost done.

Sorry for that shadow in the right c0rner.


This awesome flower is why I just had, HAD to do this sampler.



Isn't it beautiful? I saw a version substituting the blue bird with a cardinal (somewhere on blogs this summer - sorry, I can't remember where and the note is upstairs in the sewing studio). I have thought of putting in cardinals but am not sure - perhaps I need this touch of blue. Maybe once the letters are in, I will make up my mind. I also have to get another skein of the green for the leaves - only a dozen left and I am out. I am hoping if the dye lot is different, it won't be too different and as they are not right next to one another, it should be fine.

Been working on BBD Wild Lilies when I need something with a little "easier" stitch to see...this is on 32 count versus the 40 0n the couple samplers I have going. Aren't these colors just absolutely stunning?! Didn't change a thing and am doing it just as it is on the pattern.


And finally, I loved the "Merry Be" pin cushion and finishing style so much that I had to have "Creepy Pin Cushion" by Shepherd's Bush. This was one of my finishes late in 2011...now to finish-finish.

A completely finished project will have to wait just a bit more time...back to that "busy" word. Busy, sometimes a bad, four letter word in this house.


I also have to ask for thoughts and prayers for my husband's Aunt. In May, she has lost her sister (my mil). This was while I was in the hospital for over five weeks and Aunt M had surgery for her second bought with breast cancer. Then two weeks ago, her brother's wife (another Aunt - her sister-in-law). This last week, her own husband passed away; he's been sick with Alzheimer's for years but even that doesn't make it any easier. It's been a tough year. She's a strong woman, but that is really quite a bit. Keep her (and us) in your prayers please. I have always had faith, but this past year has taught me that prayers can be a powerful source of peace, for the prayer and prayee...yes, I can make up words - it comes from work - employer/employee...


Have a great week...thanks for stopping by my bit of the blog. Hi to the new readers, hi to the return readers. I appreciate all your comments and appreciate you checking in with what is happening in my world. Funny, it's such a fun world even though we have not yet met all those followers.


Hugs and stitches,

Sherry :o)

10 comments:

  1. I love your WIPS -- I so agree about the red flower being the reason why I want to stitch that Birds of a Feather sampler. Love your finish too -- looking forward to seeing it finished finished.

    I will be sending lots of prayers for you, your family and your HD's aunt. Life can be so hard sometimes. Virtual hugs to you as well. Thank goodness for needle and thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your stitches are wonderful!
    Sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your projects, and the BOF piece is gorgeous with the silk. I know Myra did 2 of the birds as cardinals.
    http://gr8damesplace.blogspot.com/2011/08/dance-with-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful stitching!
    Thought, prayers, and {{hugs}}...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your projects are beautiful. Love the Mystery Sampler. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're projects are coming along! Seeing your Mystery made me think about pulling mine out again. It would be a quick finish, I think?

    Thought and prayers to your husband's aunt. It sounds like you've had quite year with your family. My husband's Aunt too is probably not too much longer for this world as a result of Alzheimers.

    Take care, hugs, and see you at Guild!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm praying for your aunt--it sounds like she's had a very tough year!

    I love your WIPs! I think it was Myra who changed the birds to cardinals on the WTN&T mystery. I love it both ways, but then I love cardinals AND blue jays. ;) Congratulations on the finish--so pretty! I like your BBD RoMerit piece as well. I have that on top of the pile to stitch--hopefully soon. I love working on high count fabrics but sometimes picking up those lower count fabrics are such a nice treat! And BBDs are always a big treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry be is lovely, congratulations. Your other wips are looking great.

    I shall keep your family in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, and especially your Aunt. She has had to bear so much in the last year. My heart breaks for her.

    I agree, this winter has been very unusual. My DH read that we haven't had this mild of a winter in Michigan since 1932. However, I like it mainly because I hate driving in icy or snowy conditions.

    Your projects are lovely! The silks in your Mystery Sampler look so rich, it is a beauty! I also love the little SB pincushion...it's so sweet.

    Wishing you time for stitching and reading this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and comment! I read each and every one and appreciate them all. They make me smile!