Monday, September 3, 2012

Two Finishes!!! And progress too!

I finished this one this Friday evening.  Started just before the Olympics.  It's I Wait for the Lord   by Hands To Work.  The linen - I took from an old project that was never going to be done, over five skeins of WDW "Baked Apple" and ta-da...done.  Now to get it to the framer. 
This one gave me fits.  I tried different colors, different stitches (one thread, two threads and finally deciding on the first leg of the cross with one and then the second leg with two - double times through since the fiber is overdyed).  Yes, that means I took extra stitches, but I thought it looked better than the other two choices.  I did a lot of ripping on this one, even to the very end.  Right to the very last row!  I think it should say "patience" instead of "hope".
Finished this one this weekend too - Margaret Cottam by La-D-Da.  I didn't change a fiber on this one - it has WDW "Baked Apple" too on the most beautiful cocoa linen (also called for)!  I did put my name on the sampler as I am not so much in the 'gotta do it exact' reproduction,  just close.  Loved this one. 

Sorry the pictures are not super - took them when finished each night instead of waiting for the sun - plus it's hot outside, and humid, and yucky.  I am happy it's September and that autumn is just around the corner. 

Started Strawberry Hill but didn't have enough progress to post yet.  Next time ;-)

I received a surprise in the mail Saturday.  Part III of the Lizzie*Kate Mystery Sampler.  Now just to get the fiber pack and I will be starting this cute, fun stitch!

Read a bit this weekend too - needed to stretch out after all the stitching and sewing.

And progress, you ask, as hinted in the titled - well years ago I took my first formal quilt class.  I decided on pinks and browns, yummy fabric.  It's called Nancy's Fancy, nine squares.  I had a complete one done prior to the one day retreat in August.  I left there with only five and one half to go.  What's the big deal some may ask - it's only nine squares...each square is about 100 pieces.  Yikes - what was I thinking?  But she is beautiful.  And I have to get a dent in this before starting any of my new batiks (my rule)!
Since it's a three day weekend, since my child is gone most of this three day weekend and since my husband worked all but Saturday - I took advantage - I sewed for about four hours yesterday.  I have three left to make.  It takes about one hour to assemble each square.  The only thing done for each square is the half-square triangles and the lay out - so, to sew rows, then rows to rows to equal four and then each four to make eight.  That will be progress. 

So up I go - here it is 2:30 on Monday afternoon - Tiger game on, dishes done, laundry done, emails and blog reading caught up, emails out to batik places in search of my fabric done, meal prep for the week (what I can do ahead) done, I need to shower and then plop my fanny into the chair and make pretty with the sewing machine. I am hoping to knock out the other three squares today.   I will let you know


I will leave you with a final picture - still searching - madly - for this batik.  I just have to have it for the back of my top posted last week!

Hope you have done some fun things this weekend....have a great week.

Stitches and hugs,
Sherry :0)